B.A., Political Science, 2003
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Select Presentations / Publications / Performances
Manufacturing Comfort, Medium, April 22, 2015.
The Tempest, Tell Us Something, Missoula, Montana, October 9, 2014.
So, It's Intersex Awareness Day and What Have We Done? The Interface Project, October 26, 2014.
I Thought People Like That Were Clip Art, Medium, May 26, 2014.
Society's Rigidity vs. Nature's Resolve: Biology, Assumptions & Nondiscrimination Ordinances in Montana, May 12, 2014.
The Future of Intersex Activism, Hamline University, St. Paul, Minnesota, March 14, 2014.
Not Your Mother’s Intersex Talk, Gender Expansion Conference, Missoula, Montana, October 24, 2013.
Impossible Hermaphrodites (Our bodies belong to us. They do not belong to you.) Missoula Fringe Festival, August 16, 2013.
If Soulsville Could’ve Happened Anywhere Else, It Already Would’ve, Impossible Hermaphrodites, August 2, 2013.
Where Would I Begin? Reflections on the Historic Filing of the Crawford Case, Advocates for Informed Choice, June 5, 2013.
Everything You Wanted to Know About Intersex But Were Afraid to Ask, University of Montana, Missoula, April 30, 2013.
Leveling My Playing Field, Tell Us Something, Missoula, Montana, March 21, 2013.
Intersex: Let’s Start With the Basics, Pride Foundation, October 31, 2012.
A (No Longer) Quiet Revolution, The Bilerico Project, October 26, 2012.
Supporting Young People With Intersex Traits, Feminists for Choice, October 22, 2012.
Intersex/DSD Medical Treatment, Ethics, and Infant Surgeries, Inter-Conference: Engaging Interdisciplinary Intersex Perspectives, Harvard University, April 4, 2012.
Speaker, Investigation into the Medical “Normalization” of Intersex People, Human Rights Commission, San Francisco, Calif., May 27, 2004.
Lit @ JSC, Jon Sims Center for the Arts, May 8, 2002
High School Survival Strategies for Poets and Queers, San Francisco Public Library, March 27, 2002.
Hear the Fierce: Spoken Word from Young Queers, Jon Sims Center for the Arts, October 27, 2001.
Intercourse: A Sex and Gender Spoken Word Recipe for Revolution, National Queer Arts Festival, June 3, 2001.
Social Emergencies: The State of Intersex Treatment in the U.S., University of California, Davis, 2001.
Keynote Speaker, Overcoming Homophobia Meeting for Youth, San Francisco, Calif., 2001.
A New Intersex Primer, Creating Change, Atlanta, Georgia, 2000.
Why Funders in Health, Education, Civil Rights, Violence Prevention & Youth Issues Need to Understand the T in LGBT, Northern Calif. Grant Makers Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., 2000.
Storytelling: The Intersex Experience, Metropolitan Community Church, San Francisco, Calif., 2000.
Storytelling: The Intersex Experience, University of California, Berkeley, 1999.
Storytelling: The Intersex Experience, Stanford University, 1999.
Storytelling: The Intersex Experience, University of California, San Francisco, 1999.
Intersex? Yes, Intersex, Creating Change, Oakland, Calif., 1999.
The Needs of Intersex Youth, GLSEN, Chicago, IL, 1999.
Panelist, Intersex 101, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1998.
Intersex, The What's My Name Show, June 2, 2014.
Making Sense of Intersex: Changing Ethical Perspectives in Biomedicine (Book) by Ellen Feder, Indiana University Press, May, 2014.
Intersex Intimacy: Busting Myths and Finding Love, CNN, April 15, 2014.
A New Era for Intersex Rights, The New Yorker, December 30, 2013.
Live with Sam Walker, BBC Radio, December 5, 2013.
Surgery and Secrets: Taking the Intersex Community Out of the Closet, dot 429, November 7, 2013.
Etc., Missoula Independent, October 31, 2013.
Germany’s Gender Debate, ABC News, August 22, 2013.
Huey Lewis, Missoula friends warm up for concert to benefit The Interface Project, The Missoulian, August 1, 2013.
The Ambiguity (and Sometimes Shame) of Being Born not Clearly Male or Female, Montana Public Radio, August 1, 2013.
"No Body Is Shameful", The Missoulian, July 22, 2013.
Life and Intersex: An Interview with Jim Ambrose of The Interface Project, Montana Public Radio, January 22, 2013.
Intersex Babies: Boy or Girl and Who Decides? ABC News, March 17, 2011.
XXXY (Film) Stanford University, Porter Gale, Laleh Soomekh - * Winner, Best Documentary, Student Academy Awards, 2001.
Is it a Boy or a Girl? (TV) The Discovery Channel, Phyllis Ward - * Nominated, Outstanding TV Journalism Award, GLAAD, 2000.
North American Scholarship, 2nd International Intersex Forum (hosted by ILGA, International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans & Intersex Association) Stockholm, Sweden, December 2012.
North American Scholarship, 1st International Intersex Forum (hosted by ILGA) Brussels, Belgium, September, 2011.
Full Athletic Scholarship, Quincy University, 1994.
Full Athletic Scholarship, Louisiana State University, 1995-1997.
The Interface Project
2012 – present
- Responsibilities include managing social media, web, marketing, and publicity, as well as conducting interviews and producing videos. We feature stories of people living with intersex traits – or variations of sex anatomy – because No Body Is Shameful ®.
Micro Rainbow International
London, United Kingdom
2014 – 2016
- Responsibilities included social media management, crafting and editing of web/e-bulletin/promotion copy, video editing, crafting press releases, publicity/marketing distribution.
Communications Manager and Youth Development Coordinator
Advocates for Informed Choice (AIC)
Sonoma County, California
2008 – 2013
- I served as grant writer and as copywriter for AIC's web, marketing/PR, while initiating AIC’s social media presence. I created the first program focused on the leadership development of intersex youth: Inter/Act. Inter/Act provides intersex youth an opportunity to create a peer community, articulate needs, project their voices into the discussion of treatment of intersex children, and develop linkages between the bodily autonomy movement and other social justice movements around the world.
International Political Science Review
Belfast, Northern Ireland
2008 – 2013
- I proofread, formatted, and edited manuscripts analyzing comparative political concepts and theories. I managed the work of contributors, reviewers, editors, and publishers from submission to hard copy/online publication.
2008 – 2010
- I proofread book-length manuscripts on various facets of American law.
2005 – 2008
- Wrote catalogue copy, press releases, and secured media opportunities with national print, television, and radio media. Pioneered Nolo Press's social media presence.